Sunday, April 24, 2011

Gandhi

When Gandhi first decided to take a stand against tyranny I don't think he knew one day he would be called Mahatma.  Great Soul.

When Gandhi first preached ahimsa and satyagraha I don't think he knew one day he would be called Bapu.  Father.

I keep forgetting to tell myself that great men are made, not born.  I keep forgetting to tell myself that even my heroes had doubts.

Look into my eyes and tell me what I want to hear, because that is what you're supposed to say.  But when I look back into your eyes they betray what you think.  You don't take me seriously.  You never believed in me, and you never will. 

Great men are great men because they have been hurt.  Been beaten and tortured and left for dead by the ones they love.  Great men are great men because they have nowhere else to go, but up.

Look into my eyes and answer my question.  When will we own ourselves completely?  When will what we want and what is best for us be one and the same?  Or are we bound to love that which is most toxic for us? 

A great man owns himself completely.  He owns himself because nobody wanted him when he was at the bottom.  He owns himself because he freely gives of himself when he is at the top.

Look into my eyes because I love you.  Look into my eyes because I want to be a great man.  Look into my eyes because there is the light I draw upon when I am at the bottom and because there is the light I bask in when I am at the top. 

I want to be like Gandhi.  A Great Soul.  A Father.  And tonight when I looked into your eyes I knew that tonight is not the last time I'll see the light. 

3 comments:

  1. that was incredible!! i loved the way you put the three lines in your poem! that ending was amazing!! my favorite part was when you said "are we bound to love that which is most toxic for us?" wow that was intense!! good one! you got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Out of 17 or 18 that I've read so far this morning. This is top 3 for sure. Great job.

    I have to use this as an example of a poem that doesn't necessarily sound like a poem, if that makes sense. This is like a speech. But powerful. Very powerful.

    ReplyDelete